Research Chemist (PhD) - Synthesis and Production - Specialty Chemicals - Melbourne, FL
Apply for this job Return to Job Listings
Private Equity backed entrepreneurial specialty chemical company looking for next R&D Director
Photos: Production floor at client’s facility and lab
Our Client - Your Future Team
Continue this tradition – over the past 30 years, our client has developed a rare, unique, and extremely profitable niche in the custom development, formulation, and manufacturing of industry critical difficult to handle (and often hazardous) specialty and fine organic chemicals.
Markets include polymer manufacturing, adhesives, pharmaceuticals, composites, and many others.
Average tenure of the staff is 14+ years.
The company, located near Melbourne, FL, has the luxury of being in one of the prime spots in Florida where the cost of living is still reasonable. Located minutes from the beach, this is still a family workforce-oriented environment, not a retirement community.
What you will have the opportunity to do:
Working closely with business development and clients, you will devise ways to synthesize and manufacture their needed raw materials and/or products. From laboratory quantities to tanker trucks, the capability and input you will have is immense.
Manufacturing capabilities include:
- Lithium alkyls
- Aromatic substitutions
- …and many more
Production capability includes, among others:
- Cryogenic processing
- Fractional distillation
- High vacuum work for heat sensitive compounds
- Wiped film evaporators
- Vacuum tray dryers
- Glass lined, hastelloy, and SS reactors
What's in it for you?
- No two days are the same. The capability of our client is broad and wide.
- A unique opportunity will be recommendations for expanding both the current product lines but also proactively assessing customer needs and acquisition opportunities (from a technical perspective).
- The current R&D Director plans on retiring in 2- to 3-years. The person in this role will have the opportunity to lead the future R&D team.
- Working with all aspects from concept to final production. This isn’t just a lab role. Your input will be valued across the board so if you want broad experience in complex synthesis, pilot, scale-up, and production, this is the role for you.
What you must bring to the table:
Hard skills / technical ability
- PhD Chemistry
- 2+ years’ experience in a chemical manufacturing environment
- Demonstrated ability to take a product from concept to completion including laboratory synthesis, pilot, scale-up, and production
- Experience in one or more of the following a plus – HF chemistry, halogenations, alkali metals, nitrile chemistry, reductions, esterification, aromatic substitution
Soft skills / team fit
- Taking ownership and accepting personal accountability for results and meeting goals
- Accountability for company’s financial objectives
- Self-starter. Ability to take the initiative; not one who needs to be micromanaged; resourceful
- Ability to analyze hypothetical situations to compile insight, i.e. make good decisions in the absence of incomplete information; futuristic thinking
- Time and priority management coupled with exceptional planning and organizational skills
- Demonstrated problem-solving ability
- Continuous learning to stay up to date on financial and compliance regulations
- Intentional – driven to accomplish objectives and goals
- Highly effective relationship building skills; building rapport with all kinds of people
- Collaborative – cooperate and work jointly with others in pursuit of company’s goals and objectives
- Receptive – willingness to listen to others and process inputs provided
To confidentially explore this further, let’s chat.
Send your resume in confidence (or call):
Managing Partner, The HTW Group